Rudi Monastery

Rudi Monastery also known as Rughi Monastery is located on the bunch of the Nistru River, at the distance of 15 km from Otaci town. It is a friary.

In 1777, with the blessing of bishop Inochentie from Husi (1752 – 17820) a Moldovan style stone temple celebrating Holy Trinity festival was funded. It was built on the estate of brothers Andronachi and Teodor Rudea with the financial support of the noble man Donciu from Mavilau (Podolia).

“On June 1, 1777 on behalf of the Holy Trinity and St Nicholas, this temple was founded at the times of the blessed noble man Grigore Alexandru Ghica Voda with the blessing of sacred Inokentie - the bishop of Husilor, with Simion Donciu noble man exertion and attendance. It was built on the territory of Andronachi Rudea (Teodor Rudea brother) estate” - these data were confirmed in a superscription written in Slavonic language, which was cherished up till now. In accordance with another superscription, the monastery was founded on behalf of the Holy Trinity, at times of the noble man Grigore Alexandru Ghica, with the blessing of bishop Inochentie.

In the Holy Trinity temple of Rudi Hermitage archive form, dating from 1835, it can be found the following: “ We do not possess any personal land, our hermitage cells are built from 19 billows, we are not carried by anybody and do not receive help from anywhere”. Buying in the Rudi family estate, proprietary Mihai Bogus ruined the monastery. In 1845 his daughter Anastasia died tragically, only a year after her death, Bogus second daughter died as well. This was a kind of punishment for Bogus and at the age of 62 he passed away. Bogus family was buried on the monastic complex territory which was forsaken by nuns in 1846. There would be seen a stone with the inscription “Mihai Bogus, died in 1856”. Near his grave, the graves of his daughters would be seen too. On the left wall of the hermitage, another inscription would be seen: “Here were buried monastery founders Teodor and Andronachi Rudi”.

In 1846, local authorities took the decision to close Rudi Monastery temple; it was taken under the guidance of Rudi village parish. Mihai Rosea - a near relation to Bogus became the monastery proprietary, he transformed the holy place into an inhabitancy for servants. The monastic complex was abandoned and partially demolished.

On October 24, 1921 with the support of Archbishop Visarion Puiu, Rudi Monastery was reopened. Its restoration was approved by local authorities.

During the World War II the monastery was under the guidance of the abbot Ioachim Barbus. At that time 30 monks inhabited the monastic territory.

In 1948 Archbishop Benedict of Chisinau city was ordered and imposed to close Rudi Monastery. According to local witnesses, the monastery estate was confiscated, its monks taking refuge in other monasteries.

The monastic complex was transformed into an orphanage, and later, it became a hospital for children. The Holy Trinity temple became a deposit. In 1990 the hospital was evacuated, two years later being lost empty.

In 1992, Rudi Monastery was settled by three monks: the priest Malchisedec and two monks from Romania. In 1993, renovation works began at the monastery. A year later, the Holy Trinity restoration also commenced.

In the “Manastirea Rudi” report published in “Historical monuments commission” book in 1928, engineer – architect Nicolae Tiganco stated the following: “Rudi Monastery is settled on a becomingly place. Its architecture comprises a well defined Moldovan style dating from XVI century. The temple takes medium shaping comprising 17,70m length and 12,30m latitude. The monastery altitude comprises 9m, its steeple including the cross - 20m. The wall thickness attains approximately 1m. Monastery inside bisects into a pronave and nave. The monastery steeple is built up according to the traditionally Moldovan architecture and namely - tier upon tier semicircular arcs. The three apsides are decorated with paintings of saints’ faces.

In 1921, Rudi temple was included into the list of historical monuments well-formed according to the old Moldovan style.

Translated from Romanian by Felicia Lupasco, Moldova.ORG

© Copyright
on the central part – the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Moldova; on the upper part - figure „2000”; on the bottom part -the inscription „50 LEI”; following the coin circumference– the inscription "REPUBLICA MOLDOVA" is engraved in block letters.
on the central part -the image of the monastery and parts of landscape stand out in the; on the upper part , following the coin circumference- the inscription "MĂNĂSTIREA RUDI" is engraved in block letters.
Rudi Monastery
Rudi Monastery
Package (box, booklet, roll, etc.): 
Catalog ID: 
Krause ID: 
KM# 11
Face value: 
Shape and style: 
Local program: 
Source of information: